These blow battered cod out of the water! This is a great starter to serve with a lovely cold beer
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes chilling
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 150g plain flour
- 100ml beer (we used Birra Moretti)
- 150ml cold sparkling water
- 100g raw prawns, peeled and deveined
- 100g raw squid rings
- Sea salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Wedges of lemon
– Mix the flour, beer and water in a bowl until it forms a batter.
– Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
– Wash the seafood with cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
– Season with salt and pepper and dust all over with flour.
– Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to completely submerge the seafood.
– Heat the oil. To test that it is hot enough drop small piece of bread into the oil, when it bubbles and turns golden brown it is ready.
– One at a time, dip the seafood into the batter and then into the hot oil, shaking off any excess batter. Do not overcrowd the pan as the seafood will not properly cook.
– Cook for 1.5 minutes on either side, or until crisp.
– Use a slotted spoon to remove the seafood and blot with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
– Serve immediately with wedges of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt.