For Christmas we asked for a slow cooker and we have enjoyed using it so far. Here is one of our favourite recipes.
Prep time: 10 mins (+1 hour marinade and 10 minutes cooking)
Cooking time: 6 hours
- 320g skinless boneless chicken thighs, chopped
For the marinade:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 200g natural yogurt
For the curry:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml chicken stock
– Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl with some seasoning. Add the chicken and cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hr or overnight.
– Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, green chilli, ginger and some seasoning. Fry on a medium heat for 10 mins or until soft.
– Add the spices with the tomato purée, cook for a further 2 mins until fragrant, then add the stock and marinated chicken. Tip everything into the slow cooker, then cook for 6 hrs until the chicken is tender.
– Serve with pilau rice and naan bread